Duo Ventures

Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Dining Room to Home Office Reveal!

Several months ago, we made the decision to utilize our formal dining room as a home office instead.  We left off in Part 1, where we outlined our general plans & inspiration for our future office.  If you follow us on Instagram you might have gotten a couple of sneak peeks along the way.  There are still several small projects that we need to complete, but for the most part the room is finished!

Let's start the beginning - here's what it looked like when we moved in:


First, we painted the walls with Behr's Creek Bend & swapped out the light fixture for a more contemporary brushed nickel fixture that we found on clearance @ Lowe's.

Next we hung some window panels from Target (Threshold Basketweave in Gray).  We also ordered a 7'6" x 9'6" rug from Overstock while it was on sale (South Hampton Southwest in Grey):

Next, we began to layer our furniture back into the room.  We added our existing desk from Pottery Barn & a pair of chairs from Home Goods.  At this point, Mel had also finished painting our thrift store dresser (we were still waiting on the hardware to arrive), & we centered it on the back wall:


After browsing through some Houzz & Pinterest inspiration, we decided that we wanted shelving units on either side of the dresser.  IKEA offered an affordable option that was available in two different sizes (Vittsjo).  The wider version seemed like it was going to be a tight squeeze, so we taped off the dimensions first.  Luckily, they were going to fit perfectly:


Here's the office after we assembled the shelving units & attached the drawer pulls to the dresser:

We added a pair of lamps & a metal mirror from Home Goods:



We love our thrift store makeover (you can see a before here):

Then came the fun part - styling the office!  We visited several different stores & picked up a bunch of goodies from Target, Home Goods, IKEA, Joann's, & several thrift stores.

We wanted to try & mix metals in this room - which is crazy seeing as we never thought we'd like anything brass or gold.  Ever.  But alas, Pinterest had some really cool looking rooms that were styled with brass accents...& we liked it!

After about 5 million different arrangements, this is what we came up with (over time, this space was edited & pared down as it felt a little cluttered):



Of course, we couldn't do a room without some DIY art.  Mel spray painted some coral we found on our vacation & framed it:









We found this tray in the kitchen section @ Home Goods & thought it would be perfect to hold those tiny office supplies like push pins & paper clips:

Before & After:




*Update*
Like we mentioned earlier, we removed & added a few items over time - here's what it looks like currently:

All in all, we are very happy with our new home office!  We've had to edit the office a good deal over time, but we finally achieved a room that combines both form & function!

Mel & Nader

22 comments:

  1. Am in love! ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you! Us too - now we have to add back all our office supplies & files...

      Delete
  2. I LOVE how the room turned out! You do such a fantasist job of decorating! I'm still working on my new office and I've been inspired by your work. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Really appreciate your kind words :)
      Excited to see your new office too!

      Delete
  3. Love it! It looks amazing!! The gold coral is a great idea and I love that gold rhino :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you! I love the rhino too - Target always pulls through! Now I'm wishing I would have bought the elephant too....he was so cute :)

      Delete
  4. Love your dining room turned office. Will keep this idea tucked away. Right now my office / craft room is a spare bedroom. Like you, I never use my formal dining room, so I'm thinking one day, the office or the craft part of my room will eventually move there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I've been under the weather following oral surgery. I've been looking for someone to be a guest blogger on my blog...
    Thrifty Parsonage Living.

    I just saw on your side bar - Please feel free to re-post & pin any of our content or photos. We just ask that all images are credited back to our blog please.

    I would love to use this post as a guest post on Monday, March 17th. I will link back to your blog and credit everything to you and your blog. I'd love to use this and if this is ok, if not please let me know before 3/17. I'd love to have you tell your readers that I'm featuring you as a guest blogger. Thanks!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear that! :(

      Sure thing Joy - that's not a problem at all!

      Hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  6. Do the white file boxes have gold trim? I've been looking for that but all I've found is silver trim...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as far as I know, they only make them with the silver accents. :(

      Delete
  7. Looks really great. Do you remember where you got the little white planters and plants in the office makeover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. You've inspired me! Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Please, halp!! What's the name of this chandalier? I mean, the name of the model. Really, it's very important

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually have no idea, I'm so sorry. We purchased it years ago from Lowe's on clearance - we were told it was a floor sample & was about to be discontinued. So I'm not even sure it is still being made anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the name and brand of the color on the walls???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get the bookshelves. Thank you

    ReplyDelete